On September 12 VMware released the second version of its desktop virtualization product for Mac OS: Fusion 2.0 (build 116369).
This new release is significant in terms of features as it offers:
- automatic synchronization of Windows guest folders to the Mac OS host ones
- automatic mapping of the Mac OS printers in the guest OS
- virtual machine library
- support for multiple snapshots (manual or scheduled through the new AutoProtect)
- support for multiple displays
- integrated VMware Importer (V2V migration for Parallels Desktop and Microsoft Virtual PC for Mac OS VMs)
- experimental support for 4-way virtual CPUs
- experimental Unity support for Linux guest OS
- experimental support for Mac OS X Server as guest OSb
- bundle with McAfee VirusScan Plus (12-months free subscription)
To further increase its market share against Parallels, VMware is offering the new product for free to all customers that already purchased Fusion 1.x.
Download a trial here.
The virtualization.info Virtualization Industry Roadmap has been updated accordingly.