Quoting from the ExaGrid official announcement:
ExaGrid Systems, Inc., the leader in cost-effective and scalable disk-based backup solutions with byte-level data de-duplication, today announced that it has become a VMware Technology Alliance Partner (TAP) and has validated its product’s use within VMware virtualized environments.
ExaGrid is uniquely suited for VMware environment backups for the following reasons:
- ExaGrid combines compression and byte-level data de-duplication to minimize the amount of data stored in each subsequent backup.
- Depending on the customer’s data, ExaGrid customers are achieving data de-duplication of redundant VMware virtual machine instances by a factor of 100s or even 10,000s to 1.
- Backup windows are also cut by as much as 80%.
- Restores do not require a SAN, are fast and highly reliable.
- The customer no longer needs to rely on tape for VMware environment backups and can eliminate tape management, handling and transportation costs.
- Entire VMware environments can also be replicated to an off-site ExaGrid via a WAN ensuring synchronized backups for Disaster Recovery purposes.