In October 2012 Microsoft released version 1.0 of its Virtual Machine Converter tool (MVMC) allowing the conversion of VMware based virtual machines (VM’s) to Hyper-V based VM’s and virtual hard disks (VHDs). Now Microsoft has released version 2.0 of the MVMC, which also allows customers to convert VMware VMs toward VM’s running inside Microsoft Azure.
Version 2.0 provides the following new features:
- Converts virtual disks that are attached to a VMware virtual machine to virtual hard disks (VHDs) that can be uploaded to Windows Azure.
- Provides native Windows PowerShell capability that enables scripting and integration into IT automation workflows.
- Supports conversion and provisioning of Linux-based guest operating systems from VMware hosts to Hyper-V hosts.
- Supports conversion of offline virtual machines.
- Supports the new virtual hard disk format (VHDX) when converting and provisioning in Hyper-V in Windows Server 2012 R2 and Windows Server 2012.
- Supports conversion of virtual machines from VMware vSphere 5.5, VMware vSphere 5.1, and VMware vSphere 4.1 hosts Hyper-V virtual machines.
- Supports Windows Server 2012 R2, Windows Server 2012, and Windows 8 as guest operating systems that you can select for conversion.