VMware has released version 5 of its application virtualization product ThinApp. With the release VMware announced that the product lifecycle has been extended to 5 years.
ThinApp is available as a standalone product and part of all Horizon bundles and the Horizon Suite. Since this is a major release, customers must also fulfill their subscription and receive new license keys along with the download of the bits at My VMware.
Version 5 provides the following new options:
- Support for 64-bit applications
- Support for Windows 8.1
- Optimized architecture leveraging NTDLL.DLL for improved application compatibility and performance
- Support for integration of AppSense personalization settings between native and ThinApp versions of applications.
- Ability to run virtualized Internet Explorer 10 (32- or 64-bit)
- Improved ADM and ADMX policy template files for ThinDirect
- Ability to virtualize Office 2013 (keep in mind though that Microsoft most probably doesn’t support this as they do not support virtualizing Office 2013 for App-V either)