VMware announced the availability of VMware Log Insight 1.5 Technical Preview 2, its log management, aggregation and analysis solution.
This was indeed a very fast release, probably representing the need of VMware to accelerate the release cycle in order to compete with the massive popularity of Splunk.
VMware published a video that introduces the new features in version 1.5.
Some of these features can be summarized as follows:
- Content Gallery – As we continue to expand our content pack coverage to security, Networking, Compute and Storage, we have introduced a new way to Import, Export, Share and Manage Content packs for both administrators and users.
- Active Directory – Log Insight is now fully integrated with Active Directory including support for users, groups, profiles and roles.
- Light speed response – Self tuning, predictive analytics engine that ensures immediate response to queries and dashboards even as the data sets grows beyond the terabyte mark.
- In-Place upgrade – Log Insight now supports in-place upgrade from 1.0 GA and from previous technical previews, enabling seamless adoption of new functionality as it becomes available to our technical preview program members without impact on production or test environments.
- Intuitive and self-managing – Featuring a redesigned self-monitoring and archive tracking interface, vSphere integration wizard and enhanced query auto complete.