Beginning this month, during its annual Synergy event, Citrix announced version 7 of its Virtual Desktop Infrastructure (VDI) product XenDesktop. This week Citrix announced the release of XenDesktop 7 and the release of Feature Pack 2 for its desktop and application virtualization product XenApp 6.5.
XenDesktop provides the following new functionality (among others), detailed here:
- HDX Mobile,
- Translates multi-touch gestures, finger swipes, and inertia into smooth navigation and scrolling commands that are relayed to the hosted Windows apps in real-time
- Offers native menu controls that translate pull-down lists and complex mouse navigation into the native controls built in to the mobile device for smoother app navigation.
- HDX Windows App Mobilization SDK
- HDX deep compression and redirection technologies
- Redesigned Citrix StoreFront, the self-service portal
- Clientless Receiver
- Flexcast, providing both provisioning and personalization of desktops and applications supporting Windows Server 2012 and Windows 8
- Physical to virtual (P2V) app migration analysis tools, powered by Citrix AppDNA
Feature pack 2 for XenApp 6.5 brings improved user experience for application developers via an updated Mobility Pack, more scalability and cost-effective OpenGL support with GPU sharing on the XenApp 6.5 server, AppDNA to help accelerate application validation, Microsoft Lync 2013 optimization pack, support for Hyper-V 3 and Provisioning Services, along with enhancements to CDM (client drive mapping) delivering up to 4x faster download & upload speed.
You’ll need to have your MYCITRIX login, and Subscription Advantage of June 22, 2013 to see the XenDesktop 7 and XenApp 6.5 Feature Pack 2 download links.