Veeam has announced version 7.0 of its Backup & Replication product for VMware ESXi and Microsoft Hyper-V environments. Version 7 introduces two major new features: built in WAN acceleration and backup from storage snapshots.
Veeam claims that the build in WAN acceleration can optimize the data copy up to 50 times faster than a regular file copy, removing the need of purchasing and deploying WAN acceleration appliances for this purpose. The Backup from Storage Snapshot feature, which Veeam developed together with HP allows customers to use backup from SAN snapshots supporting HP StoreVirtual Storage and HP 3PAR StoreServ Storage.
Besides these two new main features this version also includes other new features:
- Virtual Lab for Replicas, allowing customers to verify every restore point in every replica
- Enhanced 1-Click Restore
- Native Tape Support, providing the ability to archive to tape
- Virtual Lab for Hyper-V, extending U-AIR, SureBackup and On-Demand Sandbox to Hyper-V
- Veeam Explorer for Microsoft SharePoint, providing visibility into SharePoint backups, advanced search capabilities, and quick recovery of individual SharePoint items.
- vSphere Web Client, allowing customers to monitor backups and backup infrastructures from vSphere
- vCloud Director support allowing customers to backup all vApp metadata and attributes, restore vApps and VMs directly to vCD, and support restore of fast-provisioned VMs.
Besides these 7 new features, also other enhancements have been made.
Veeam Backup & Replication v7 will be available in the third quarter of 2013. European pricing (in EUR) will be: Standard Edition: 620€/socket. Enterprise Edition: 1,000€/socket. Enterprise Plus Edition: 1,600€/socket. Veeam Backup Free Edition will continue to be available at no charge at http://www.veeam.com/virtual-machine-backup-solution-free.html.