HP has released a paper titled: HP VirtualSystem VS2 for Microsoft. The paper which contains 23 pages details HPs reference architecture for the Microsoft Private Cloud Fast Track. The Cloud Fast Track was developed and executed in partnership with six OEMs: Dell, Fujitsu, Hitachi/HDS, HP, IBM and NEC and announced in November 2010. It provides reference architectures for private Hyper-V powered Infrastructure-as-a-Service (IaaS) clouds.
The VS2 Reference Architecture provides a foundation for building a high-performance Microsoft Hyper-V virtualization platform that has been optimized to consolidate and provision hundreds to thousands of workloads while providing extremely high availability at all levels – from the underlying network and storage fabrics up to the virtual machine (VM) layer.
The solution uses the Microsoft System Center 2012 suite as management software together with the HP management tooling HPInsight.
The paper covers the following sections:
- Executive Summary
- The Virtualization Reality
- VS2 RA overview, covering BladeSystem, Proliant, Virtual Connect Flex-10, 3Gb SAS BL Switch, Networking and Storage
- VS2 RA components, covering Servers, Storage, Networking, Power, Management Software, Built-in high availability and Performance, sizing and scalability.
- Solution Design
- Bill of Materials
- VS2 Base RA configuration
- VS2 Extended RA configuration