The day after releasing the patch update for Oracle VM Manager 3.1.1. and Oracle VM Server for x86 3.1.1, Oracle released the beta version of the release 3.2.1 of its server virtualization solution which includes Oracle VM Server for x86, Oracle VM Server for SPARC and Oracle VM Manager.
The new features in Oracle VM Release 3.2.1 Beta include:
- Support for Oracle VM Server for SPARC: Oracle VM Manager can now be used to discover SPARC T-Series servers running Oracle VM Server for SPARC, and perform virtual machine life cycle management.
- Oracle VM Command Line Interface (CLI): The new Oracle VM Command Line Interface can be used to perform the same functions as the Oracle VM Manager Web Interface, such as managing all your server pools, servers and guests. The CLI commands can be scripted and run in conjunction with the Web Interface, thus bringing more flexibility to help you deploy and manage an Oracle VM environment. See the Oracle VM Command Line Interface User’s Guide for information on using the CLI.
- Usability Improvements: There are a number of enhancements to help improve user experience when using Oracle VM Manager, such as configuring the accessibility options, monitoring the overall health and status of your server virtualization environment with health tab, multi-select of objects, search for objects, the ability to present repository to server pools in addition to individual servers, rediscovering all Oracle VM servers, setting preferences for recurring jobs, and setting UI timeout.
- Updated Dom0 Kernel in Oracle VM Server for x86: The Dom0 kernel in Oracle VM Server for x86 has been updated so that it is now the same Oracle Unbreakable Enterprise Kernel 2 (UEK2) as used in Oracle Linux, for complete binary compatibility with drivers supported in Oracle Linux.
- MySQL Database Support: MySQL Database is used as the bundled database for the Oracle VM Manager management repository for simple installations. Support for an existing Oracle Database is still included within the installer so that you can perform a custom installation to take advantage of your existing infrastructure.