This release follows 3.0 announced on August 24th 2011.
All the new key features are devoted to simplify the work for Virtualization Administrators and follows the application-driven approach to virtualization that Oracle has kept so far.
The new features could be summarized as follows:
- Enhanced User Interface: The new Oracle VM 3.1 Manager introduces a new set of wizards for large-scale deployments, tasks and workflows execution in a Web browser interface.
- Enhanced Storage Configuration Capabilities: Focused on the simplification of backup and disaster recovery, now allows access to NFS external storage and the quick copy of iSCSI and Fiberchannel-based storage repository from one cluster to another, including across WANs.
- Integration with Oracle Enterprise Manager and Oracle Enterprise Manager Ops
- Oracle VM’s Windows drivers (PV 3.0.1) and virtualization implementation have been validated as part of the Microsoft Server Virtualization Vendor Program (SVVP).
- Three new pre-built, pre-configured Oracle VM Templates for the Oracle E-Business Suite 12.1.3; Oracle PeopleSoft Financials and Supply Chain Management 9.1; and Oracle Enterprise Manager 12c add to the more than 100 available templates that enable faster application deployment.