Yesterday VMware published a paper focused on VMware vMSC (vSphere Metro Storage Cluster), a new configuration within the VMware Hardware Compatibility List intended for environments where disaster/downtime avoidance is a key requirement.
vMSC infrastructures are implemented with the goal of bringing the same benefits of high-availability clusters in local sites, but in a geographically distributed model with two data centers in different locations.
The document, written for a technical audience, describes how vSphere handles specific failure scenarios in environments where the distance between datacenters is limited, often metropolitan or campus environments.
- Single-Host Failure in Frimley Datacenter
- Single-Host Isolation in Frimley Datacenter
- Storage Partition
- Datacenter Partition
- Disk Shelf Failure in Frimley Datacenter
- Full Storage Failure in Frimley Datacenter
- Permanent Device Loss
- Full Compute Failure in Frimley Datacenter
- Loss of Frimley Datacenter