Parallels has released version 7.0 of its Desktop Virtualization platform for Mac; Desktop. Desktop provides a type-2 hypervisor for running Windows or OS X Lion virtually on top of OS X Leopard 10.5.8 or later, Snow Leopard 10.6.8 orlater or Lion 10.7 or later.
This version also provides an improved Parallels Mobile App for iPhone, iPad and iPod touch which allows remote management and use of Parallels Dekstop VMs and is available from the iTunes App Store.
Some of the new features in this version are:
- Support for running OS X Lion in a virtual machine
- Support for Full-Screen Apps introduced in OS X Lion
- Automatic installation of Parallels Desktop software updates
- Sound support, which allows play back of music and audio files remotely from your Windows virtual machine.
- iSight, FaceTime HD camera, and external webcams can now be shared between Mac OS X and Windows
- Mac OS X printers automatically become available in Windows
- Automatic adjustment of Windows keyboard layout making it work the same way as in Mac OS X
- Windows disks and folders shared with Mac OS X are mounted to /Volumes
- Full 64-bit application for enhanced performance
- Jumbo frames support for improving networks throughput
- WDDM (Windows Display Driver Model) 1.1 support.
- Create virtual machines booting from Live CDs.
- Import virtual machines created in Virtual Box 4.