Microsoft has released a public beta of its backup product,System Center Data Protection Manager 2012. This version will be the follow up of Data Protection Manager 2010 which was released in April last year.
Data Protection Manager 2012 will contain the following new functionality:
- Centralized Management Console by integrating into the System Center Operations Manager console
- Can also be used to manager DPM 2010 centrally
- Introduces Role Based Authorization
- A standalone UI is still provided providing full functionality but targeted to one DPM server only
- SharePoint Item-Level recovery
- Hyper-V protection from a VM, in the current version item-level recovery could only do item-level recovery of standalone files when installed on the Hyper-V host.
- Data Source Extensibility Framework, opening the range of protectable data sources from the defined Microsoft list to anything that runs on Windows, leveraging Windows Volume ShadowCopy Services (VSS).