During VMworld in Las Vegas VMware announced the availability of version 5.0 of its Virtual Desktop Infrastructure (VDI) platform View. This version is the follow up of version 4.6 which was released in February this year.
VMware claims that View 5 consumes up to 75 percent less bandwidth over LAN and WAN connections. This version also introduces the profile management technology for stateless desktops which VMware acquired from RTO Software in March 2010, and originally expected to be released with VMware View 4.5.
New features in this version:
- Support for vSphere 5
- PC over IP (PCoIP) protocol effeciency, up to 75 percent less bandwidth and use case configurable bandwidth settings.
- Premier Edition only: View user profile Management which VMware calls persona,providing user personalization to stateless desktops.
- View Client for Android and Cisco CIUS
- Announced upcoming Client for iPad providing multitasking, RSA integration and a new presentation mode.
- View Media Services
- For 3D graphics, to enable basic 3D applications in View Desktops, like Windows Aero, without GPU requirement. On vSphere 5 only.
- For Integrated Unified Communications for optimized VOIP performance and VOIP support for leading UC vendors.
- PCoIP Extension Services, which provides over 20 session statistics over Windows Management Instrumentation (WMI)
- PCoIP Continuity Services, which provides a seamless end-user experience by detecting interruptions and automatic session reconnection within 30 seconds
- Enhanched Security Settings by enabling client certificate handling customziation using a browser certificate mdoel.
VMware View 5 Enterprise Edition will be priced at $150 per concurrent connection and VMware View 5 Premier Edition will be priced at $250 per concurrent connection.