Oracle has announced the release of version 3.0 of its x86 enterprise virtualization solution VM Server. This version provides enhancements for network and storage configuration, policy-based management for delivering application resource flexibility and a new GUI. Oracle VM is still the only certified solution for use with all Oracle software.
New features include:
- Distributed Resource Scheduling for capacity management, providing real time monitoring enabling rebalancing of a server pool.
- Distributed Power Management for reduction of powered-on servers.
- Centralized network configuration and management, using Oracle VM Manager
- Storage connect framework enabling direct leveraging of resources and functionality of storage systems from Oracle VM Manager. Plug ins are available for Fujitsu, Hitachi Data Systems and NetApp and in development for SUN ZFS Storage Appliances and the Pillar Axiom 600 SAN storage system.
- Server and storage discovery.
- Xen 4.0 hypervisor
- Updated Dom0 command and control kernel
- Supporting up to 160 CPUs and 2 TB memory for physical servers
- Supporting up to 128 vCPUs for Virtual Machines
- OCFS2 1.8 cluster file system
- Support for Open Virtualization Format (OVF) Virtual Machine file format.
- Browser based Oracle VM Manager GUI
- Job management framework
- Extensive event logging
- Performance statistics for CPU,memory, disk and network for physical server and VMs