Aidan Finn, a Microsoft MVP with he Virtual Machine expertise has released a whitepaper titled: A Guide to Hyper-V Dynamic Memory, Understanding, enabling, and configuring Windows Server 2008 R2 Hyper-V Dynamic Memory for virtualised workloads. The paper which contains 40 pages covers Dynamic Memory, a new feature for the Microsoft Hyper-V hypervisor, introduced with the release of Service Pack 1 for Windows Server 2008 R2 in February this year. It provides the ability to pool available memory on a physical host and dynamically make that memory available to virtual machines running on the host, based on current workload needs in the virtual machines.
The paper covers the following topics:
- Understanding Dynamic Memory, covering the basics, its architecture and more
- Dynamic Memory Strategies
- Configuring Dynamic Memory, covering the requirements, the integration components and more
- General Recommendations, covering cluster failover and storage sizing
- Virtual Workload Configuration Recommendations, covering Windows 7/Vista VDI, SQL Server and more.