In October last year Quest released beta 2 of vRanger 5.0, now Quest has released version 5.0 of its backup and recovery product following up version 4.5 which was released in May last year.
The vRanger products if offered in two flavours, the standard edition which offers VMware backup and restore targeted for SMBs limited to support up to 10 CPUs, and the Pro edition which offers VMware replication and supports larger configurations.
New features in vRanger Standard 5:
• NFS (NFS3) backup target support, including Linux, Data-domain and NetApp
• FTP as backup target support
Additional new features in vRanger Pro 5:
• Converged, single-product implementation for vRanger and vReplicator capabilities
○ One license key
○ One management console
○ One deployment
• All current vReplicator capabilities, allowing the VM to replicate to more than one destination.
• Catalog implementation which provides searching and browsing of savepoints (point in time copies)
• Linux VM File Level Restore, which requires the use of a Virtual Appliance.
• Restore over Fibre Channel
New features in vReplicator 5:
• AES-256 encryption, at the source
• 64-bit systems support