After releasing version 2.1 in December 2009, Microsoft is preparing to launch a major new version of its virtual machines patch management tool: Virtual Machine Servicing Tool (VMST).
VMST 3.0, currently in beta, introduces a number of interesting features like:
- Patching of offline virtual machines in a System Center Virtual Machine Manager (SCVMM) library
- Patching of stopped and saved state virtual machines on a host
- Patching of virtual machine templates
- Support for manual copy of update packages into offline virtual hard disks in a SCVMM library
- Support Hyper-V Live Migration (requires Windows Server 2008 R2 failover clusters)