As mentioned in our coverage of the vSphere 4.0 release, the only product of the VMware portfolio that currently supports the new platform is Converter.
VMware upgraded it to version 4.0.1 (build 161434) last month exactly for this purpose.
In details the new product provides support for:
- vSphere 4.0 as source and destination targets:
- Support for configuring target disks as thin provisioned disks
- Support creation of IDE disks on vSphere 4.0
- Support for backup products to restore vSphere 4.0 virtual machines backed up using VCB
- Support for creation of virtual hardware version 7.0 virtual machines on vSphere 4.0. targets as well as migration of hardware version 7.0 virtual machines from Workstation and Server platforms to vSphere 4.0
- importing OVF 1.0 single virtual machine images
- customization of Windows Server 2008 guests
The product is of course still completely free. It can be downloaded here.