Microsoft has just opened a new beta program for its almost unknown free capacity planning tool called Microsoft Assessment and Planning (MAP) toolkit.
As for the previous versions, MAP 4.0 can be used to perform a capacity plan for Hyper-V and App-V but also for other, non-virtualization related tasks.
The most significant update of this new version anyway is the support for Hyper-V 2.0/R2 that will be released in late July for Microsoft partners and October 22 for the rest of the world.
On top of that MAP 4.0 can now perform the inventory of VMware hosts and guests:
In details, the new features available with MAP 4.0 are:
- Windows 7 Hardware and Device Compatibility Assessment
- Windows Server 2008 R2 Hardware and Device Compatibility Assessment
- Virtualization Candidates Assessment for Hyper-V R2 Server Consolidation
- Integration with the Microsoft Integrated Virtualization ROI Calculator
- Inventory of VMware Server Hosts and Guests
- User Interface and Proposal Customization for Partner co-branding
The beta program can be enrolled here.