On September 23 VMware finally released the second version of its free server virtualization product: Server 2.0 (build 116503).
Despite the enormous time needed to reach this second milestone, the product doesn’t groundbreaking new features:
- New management console as web interface
- New Remote Console as web browser plug-in
- Virtual hardware hot-plug (SCSI virtual hard drives only)
- Support for 64bit host OS
- Support for USB 2.0 devices on guest OS
- Support for 8GB virtual RAM per virtual machine
There’s one exception: the support for transparent virtual machines backups on Windows host OS through the Microsoft Volume Shadow Service (VSS) and the VMware snapshot feature.
This feature alone justifies the adoption of Server 2.0, granting the reliable and cheap backups that every SMB should have.
Download it here.
The virtualization.info Virtualization Industry Roadmap has been updated accordingly.