On Sep. 1 Microsoft application virtualization platform App-V 4.5 (formerly SoftGrid) finally reached RTM status but wasn’t available to customers until Oct. 1, when the new Microsoft Desktop Optimization Pack 2008 R2, still available only for Volume License customers with Software Assurance.
(the App-V 4.5 version for Terminal Services instead will be released Nov. 1 as Microsoft confirms on its corporate blog)
The new version 4.5 brings in a deeper integration in the System Center family (the management tier for example is now called Microsoft System Center Application Virtualization Management Server) and several improvements including:
- HTTP streaming from IIS 6 and 7 as well as from Windows shares
- New application sequencer
- Support for Volume Shadow Service (VSS) writer
Microsoft worked hard to release as much as possible with the new product, from deploying guides to training courses. Along with the product are now available:
- a new Infrastructure Planning and Design Guide.
- new hardening roles for the Security Configuration Wizard (SCW) available with Windows Server 2003 and 2008
- a new Management Pack for System Center Operation Manager (SCOM) 2007
- a new Application Virtualization Best Practices Analyzer (for both the Streaming Server and the Management Server)
- a new version of Mark Russinovich’s Process Monitor (which can troubleshoot App-V virtual applications)
- a new App-V TechNet Center packed of information and papers
- a new classroom course: Training Course 7197A – Managing Enterprise Desktops Using the Microsoft Desktop Optimization Pack
- a new exam as part of the Microsoft Certified Technology Specialist track: Exam 70-656: Microsoft Desktop Optimization Pack, Configuring
The virtualization.info Virtualization Industry Radar has been updated accordingly.