As expected VMware has released the Update 2 for ESX (build 103908) and VirtualCenter (104215).
This new version brings a number of important features including:
- Cross-processors VMotion (auto-configuration of AMD-V Extended Migration and Intel FlexMigration)
- Virtual machines live snapshot through Microsoft Volume Shadow Service (VSS) (only Windows 2003 and 2008 guest OSes)
- Virtual machines live cloning
- Virtual disks hot-extension (only for flat disks without snapshots in persistent mode)
- VMware HA support for individual virtual machines
- VirtualCenter alarms for physical servers health (single components supported)
- Manual computers addition in Guided Consolidation (by hostname or IP)
- Single Sign-On (SSO) on VirtualCenter client (capability to pass-through Windows authentication credentials, with support for smartcards and digital certificates)
- Support for Microsoft Windows Server 2008, Sun Solaris 10 U5, Novell SLES 10 SP2 and Ubuntu 8.04 guest OSes
- Support for 8GB Fibre Channel HBAs
- Support for NFS and iSCSI over 10Gbit Ethernet
- Support for Remote Command Line Interface (CLI) (no more experimental)
It’s worth to note that the Remote CLI has been greatly revamped and now finally includes a wide range of commands.
Download a trial of VI 3.5 Update 2 here.
The virtualization.info Virtualization Industry Roadmap has been updated accordingly.