Qumranet, the US startup that supports the development of KVM (the hypervisor included in the Linux kernel), announced its first product in September 2007: Solid ICE, an all-in-one VDI solution (the virtualization server based on KVM, the management console, the connection broker and the accelerated remote desktop protocol) for KVM virtual machines.
The company is finally releasing its product which immediately jumps to version 4.1.
This first version has some interesting features to offer, like:
- Support for Windows 2000 and XP virtual machines
- Self-service web portal
- Active Directory authentication support
- Virtual machines pools provisioning
- Fault-tolerant connection broker
- Optimized remote desktop protocol (SPICE) with support for bi-directional audio/video (+30 Fps)
The price per concurrent virtual machine is to $200.
Download a trial here.
The virtualization.info Virtualization Industry Roadmap has been updated accordingly.