Symantec just published results from a survey conducted by Ziff Davis in September 2007 among 800 data center managers of Global 2000.
Numbers about virtualization are interesting:
- 90 percent of respondents are at least discussing server virtualization; 50 percent are implementing virtualization strategies
- 91 percent are at least discussing server consolidation; 58 percent are implementing consolidation strategies
- 75 percent of respondents are considering storage virtualization as a potential solution
- 59 percent of respondents indicate Web applications are the most likely to be moved into a virtual environment, followed by database management applications, selected by 42 percent of respondents
as well as numbers about skill shortage (not directly related to virtualization adoption at today, but soon to happen):
- 86 percent of respondents have difficulty finding qualified applicants
- 68 percent report staffing is challenging because data centers are too complex to manage
- 60 percent believe staff skill sets are too narrow
- 57 percent indicate that employees’ skills do not match their current needs
Read the whole report at the source.