Quoting from the Virtual Iron official announcement:
Virtual Iron Version 3 product suite will include:
- The Xen Open Source Hypervisor, which supports multiple 32 and 64 bit operating systems and takes full advantage of Intel Virtualization Technology. It also supports multiple physical CPUs, large memory and other physical server resource management.
- Virtual Iron Virtualization Services, an open source software stack available under a GPL license, that includes virtual storage and network connectivity, virtual server resource management, server logical partitioning, high performance drivers, and hot-plug CPU and memory.
- Virtual Iron Virtualization Manager, which includes a web-based graphical user interface to administer the virtual environment. It uses a built-in policy engine which provides advanced capabilities such as LiveCapacity, LiveMigrate, LiveRecovery and LiveMaintenance, and an event monitor to optimize application performance, ensure high availability and simplify resource management. Virtualization Manager also enables rapid provisioning and reconfiguration through operating system templates and cloning.
The new release will be available in three editions:
- Open Virtual Iron for Xen/ Community Edition
will be available at no charge via download from www.virtualiron.com/products/Downloads with a GPL license.
This edition supports the Xen development community and includes the Virtual Iron Open Source Virtualization Services Stack.
- Virtual Iron 3 for Xen / Professional Edition
will also be available at no charge via download from www.virtualiron.com/products/Downloads.
This edition supports partitioning and management of a single server and is comprised of the Virtual Iron Open Source Virtualization Services Stack under a GPL license, and the Virtual Iron Virtualization Manager, with a limited use commercial license.
- Virtual Iron 3 for Xen / Enterprise Edition
for multi-server configuration and support.
This edition is comprised of the Virtual Iron Open Source Virtualization Services Stack, under a GPL license, and Virtual Iron Virtualization Manager, available via a commercial license, which enables advanced capabilities for high availability, disaster recovery, workload management and policy-based automation.
Virtual Iron 3 for Xen will be available for Beta testing supporting Linux guests in July 2006 and Windows guests in September 2006.
Average pricing for Enterprise Edition will start at $1,500 for a single server, including Virtualization Services and Virtualization Manager…