Quoting from the Softricity official announcement:
Softricity, the on-demand application virtualization company, today announced the immediate availability of its SoftGrid™ virtualization platform within Microsoft Systems Management Server (SMS) 2003. Now, Microsoft SMS 2003 customers can take advantage of the most advanced application virtualization platform on the market to reduce the overall cost of application management. Softricity’s new product, SoftGrid for Microsoft SMS 2003, helps IT administrators instantly gain all the benefits of the SoftGrid platform – including application virtualization, on-demand streaming and self-provisioning – from within the SMS infrastructure.
SoftGrid for Microsoft SMS delivers all the functionality of the SoftGrid platform from within SMS, plus extensive integration capabilities:
- SMS Management Console Integration
Softricity SMS Management Console snap-in allows for management of virtual applications within SMS
- Multiple Delivery Options
Ability for virtual applications to be delivered in multiple ways:
- “Push” delivery where virtualized applications are turned into SMS packages deployed using standard SMS delivery methods
- “Pull/On-Demand” via Softricity’s streaming delivery technology, where only the necessary portions of the virtualized application code are deployed in real-time based on user requests
- Native SMS Inventory and Metering Integration
Virtual applications can be tracked by SMS asset management discovery and metering systems. Reports can be created for both virtualized and installed applications
Steven Bink has some more details about this.