Well, not really a whitepaper but a real 420-pages book from IBM Redbook department. This very expected publilcation covers everything about IBM Virtualization Engine, so if you never tried the technology you could read the book to figure out how IBM approached virtualization.
The book also teaches you how to work with IBM Director, its Virtual Machine Manager (VMM) extension and VMware technologies (included VirtualCenter) for centralized management of mixed virtualization environments.
The following arguments are covered:
- Part 1. Learn, understand, and plan before you install
- Chapter 1. Simplifying the infrastructure
- Chapter 2. The IBM Virtualization Engine Systems Edition
- Chapter 3. The IBM Virtualization Engine Management Collection
- Chapter 4. The planning advisor tool
- Part 2. Installing the Virtualization Engine
- Chapter 5. Installing IBM Director, the Virtualization Engine console, and TPM on a BladeCenter with xLinux
- Chapter 6. Installing the Virtualization Engine console, IBM Director, TPM, and EWLM on pSeries with AIX
- Chapter 7. Installing the Virtualization Engine console, IBM Director, TPM, and EWLM on Blade with Windows
- Chapter 8. Installing and configuring the Virtualization Engine for IT management in an OS/400 environment
- Chapter 9. Installing Virtual Machine Manager and VMware on managed servers
- Part 3. Using the Virtualization Engine Scenarios
- Chapter 10. How to use TPM and EWLM to provision a resource
- Chapter 11. How to monitor an application in a heterogeneous environment using the VE console and EWLM
- Chapter 12. How to fix hardware constraints using Tivoli Provisioning Manager and IBM Director
- Chapter 13. How to optimize an xSeries IT environment using IBM Director and Virtual Machine Manager
- Part 4. Summary
- Appendix A. Planning for security
- Appendix B. VMware installation
- Appendix C. Sample EWLM domain policy
Download IBM Virtualization Engine Version 1 planning and installation guide here.