The most famous expert on application virtualization (mainly Microsoft Terminal Services and Citrix products), Brian Madden, released a podcast about where today VMware and Citrix are and where they are supposed to go in the near future.
Here the podcast topics:
- The history of VMware and Citrix, why they got together
- Scalability. Does VMware help? How will 64-bit Windows will change this?
- A brief mention of the kernel memory changes from Windows 2000 to Windows 2003
- How does VMware affect consolidation strategies?
- When should you use VMware with Citrix, when not to?
- VMware ACE: Where can that be used with Citrix? Should you use that for Citrix or just do that natively?
- Citrix Access Gateway and Smart Access
- Future of utilization of servers
- A quick mention of Longhorn’s modular architecture
- Microsoft’s Virtual Server product server is now dead. The next incarnation will be a ESX
- Server-like hypervisor
- Egenera and blades
- Citrix’s Application Isolation Environments and Softricity
- The future of terminal server and what’s being built into longhorn
- ICA versus RDP. What value does Citrix provide on top of Terminal Server?
- The future of Citrix in the Longhorn days
- What is Citrix doing with Smart Access?
- What will Netscaler bring to Citrix?
- Moving server-based computing beyond screen scrape technologies with WinFX/Avalon remoting
- The ultimate merger of Terminal Server and IIS
- How SmoothRoaming could get smart about client devicesHow we can move beyond “cut and paste” local and remote application integration with metadata transfers
You can download it here: http://www.brianmadden.com/content/content.asp?id=499