VMware just released its second edition P2V migration tool, called P2V Assistant.
Here the changes:
– Better support for cloning and reconfiguration of Windows NT systems. If you plan to convert a Windows NT system, run P2V Assistant on a Windows NT host or helper virtual machine.
– Bug fixes in the area of international support. Some non-English versions of Windows operating systems that were not properly recognized by P2V Assistant version 1.0 are detected in version 2.0.
– New graphics and icons for application screens.
– Miscellaneous bug fixes in the user interface.
– Support for advanced configuration and power interface (ACPI) multiprocessor technology.
– Support for new guest operating systems: Volume License versions of Windows XP Professional and Windows 2003 Server
– Support for new VMware platforms: ESX 2.x, Workstation 4.x, and GSX 3.x
– Support for virtual standard multi-processor (SMP) on ESX 2.x if the guest operating system is SMP-capable or SMP-upgradable
– Better usability: service pack and hotfixes are no longer needed for any guest operating system except Windows NT Server. Application displays custom virtual machine creation and configuration instructions specific to the guest operating system and the selected target platform.
And here an interesting supported platforms matrix for souce/target OS: http://www.vmware.com/support/p2v2/doc/p2v_SupportMatrix.html