After releasing a beta version in March this year, VMware today announced the release of version 2 of its vCenter Log Insight. vCenter Log Insight is VMware’s product for log aggregation, management and analysis. Introduced in June 2013, Log Insight is kept updated with a fast pace in order to be competitive on this market where Splunk, which provides similar functionalities, is still considered the leader.
VMware will release the binaries for Log Insight in Q2 of this year. VMware vCenter Log Insight 2.0 is priced $200 per operating system instance with no log data size limits offering customers a predictable pricing model and no price penalty for storing more log data. It is also now available for $1,500 per CPU.
Version 2.0 provides the following new features:
- Performance Improvements
- VMware claims its 6x faster than Splunk
- Invididual node ingest performance up to 30% improvement
- Possibility to ingest data across a cluster of up to 6 nodes
- Scale-Out with High Availability
- 5x-10x throughput improvement in Cluster mode
- Single UI to query all the data
- Proactive Analytics
- Machine learning enabled summarization of event types & schema recognition
- Smart fields to aid in extraction
- Super-Powered Dashboards
- Easily add new data filters on the fly
- Interact between dashboard widgets
- RESTful API for log ingestion
- Improved self-monitoring tools
- Windows collection agent
- Forwards Windows event logs
- Monitors & forwards flat log files
- Centralized reporting & management
With the release of v2.0 of Log Insight, VMware also released new content packs for Brocade Fibre Channel SANs, Microsoft Active Directory, Microsoft Exchange and Microsoft Windows.