We just noticed, thanks to a tweet by Eric Sloof, that VMware’s new product for log management and analysis, VMware vCenter Log Insight, is now available in an Open Beta program.
Delivered as a vApp, deployable with the standard OVF procedure, Log Insight collects and analyses syslog data from ESXi 4.1, 5.0, 5.1, vCenter Server Appliance and other arbitrary sources and can be integrated with vCenter Operations Manager to send notification and enable Launch in Context.
Log Insight provides scalable log aggregation and indexing for the vCloud Suite with the following capabilities:
- High Performance Ingestion: Log Insight accepts data, through syslog or APIs, at a throughput rate up to 100Mbps per node
- Near Real-Time Search: Incoming data are available for search in a short time and can be aggregated with historical data and other sources as a single continuous log
- Aggregation: The system aggregates data with a method similar to GROUP-BY queries in relational databases or pivot-tables in Excel
- Runtime Field Extraction: Log Insight can extract any field from raw log data using provided regular expressions
- Dashboards: Administrators can create custom dashboards starting from queries
- Scalability: Log Insight can scale out by using multiple servers