Today, November 26, CA Technologies published a press release where it is announched that according to a comparative product review made by Network Testing Labs, its product CA ARCserve R16 has beaten Veeam® Backup & Replication™ 6.5 in every category.
Apparently CA Technologies has contracted the review in order to show the improved capabilities of its product over Veeam Backup & Replication. We cannot garantee on the credibility of the research as it is not an indipendent one but anyway it is an interesting comparative product review in this sector (VM Backup) even if not verified. The assessment is on image-based backup, file-based backup, replication/high availability and usability of the two products.
• The review called CA ARCserve “a single answer for IT organizations that need both physical server and virtual server backup and recovery.” It said that in a hybrid physical/virtual environment, Veeam Backup & Replication “forces you to license two different vendors’ backup and recovery products – one physical, the other virtual. The two-vendor approach doesn’t make sense because it’s more expensive and less productive.”
• CA ARCserve supports more virtual platforms than Veeam and protects the entire Hyper-V hypervisor host, while Veeam Backup & Replication does not. “CA ARCserve can thus recover an entire virtual host, as a single entity.”
• In comparing image-based backup functionality, the reviewer noted that “CA ARCserve’s I2 (Infinite Incremental)™ is faster than Veeam Backup & Replication’s synthetic full backup process.”
• Unlike Veeam Backup & Replication, CA ARCserve supports tape and provides a wealth of file-based backup features. CA ARCserve is also “fast, reliable and frugal in its use of storage space, offering built-in data deduplication at no additional cost.”
• CA ARCserve includes a High Availability component for companies needing maximum system uptime and availability for business-critical servers and applications. “Simply put, Veeam Backup & Replication lacks CA ARCserve’s feature-rich, mature ability to replicate, monitor and automatically fail over critical servers,” according to the report.
Steve Fairbanks, vice president, Product Delivery, Data Management, CA Technologies, affirms:
Organizations are looking for comprehensive solutions that can safeguard all of their data and application assets regardless of the platform on which they reside, this new review clearly demonstrates the key strength of CA ARCserve as a singular solution that protects customers’ complex environments, while at the same time being easy to purchase, own and manage.