Yesterday VMware announced the availability of a new update for vCenter Server 5.0 just about a month after the release of the update 1a.
This is mainly a patch release to solve some bugs that have been documented in the past versions.
Version 1b basically replaces the previous one and then the improvements introduced in this update are nearly the same:
- vCenter Server 5.0 Update 1b introduces support for the following vCenter Databases
- Oracle 11g Enterprise Edition, Standard Edition, Standard ONE Edition Release 2 [18.104.22.168] – 64 bit
- Oracle 11g Enterprise Edition, Standard Edition, Standard ONE Edition Release 2 [22.214.171.124] – 32 bit
- vCenter Server Appliance Database Support: The DB2 express embedded database provided with the vCenter Server Appliance has been replaced with VMware vPostgres database. This decreases the appliance footprint and reduces the time to deploy vCenter Server further.
- Resolved Issues: In addition, this release delivers a number of bug fixes that have been documented in the Resolved Issues section.vCenter Server 5.0 Update 1a has been removed from the VMware download site due to issues encountered when upgrading with an Oracle database for Windows. vCenter Server Update 1a is replaced by vCenter Server 5.0 Update 1b, which is functionally identical to vCenter Server 5.0 Update 1a and includes the fix for the issue encountered when upgrading with an Oracle database for Windows. Please refer to KB 2032277 and the Resolved issues section of the release notes for more information.
Further informations about bug fixes are available in the VMware vCenter Server 5.0 Update 1b Release Notes.