VMware Labs has released a so called Technology Preview Release of vCenter XVP Manager and Converter. XVP Manager and Converter will provides basic virtualization management capabilities for non-vSphere hypervisor platforms , which is Microsoft Hyper-V in this case. It also provides the possibility to migrate virtual machines from these non-vSphere virtualization platforms to VMware vSphere.
XVP Manager and Converter provides the following features:
- Management of the Microsoft Hyper-V platforms:
- Microsoft Hyper-V Server 2008
- Microsoft Windows Server 2008 (64-bit) with Hyper-V role enabled
- Microsoft Hyper-V Server 2008 R2
- Microsoft Windows Server 2008 R2 with Hyper-V role enabled
- vCenter Server graphical user interface for navigating through and managing non-vSphere inventory
- Virtual machine migrations from non-vSphere hosts to vSphere inventory
- Compatible with VMware vCenter Server 4.0 & 4.1
- Scalable up to management of 50 non-vSphere hosts
This is actually an interesting move by VMware, since this is the first VMware tool which will support Microsoft’s hypervisor, even though it will only provide basis management and converter functionality.