In January VMware released the first public draft of its vSphere 4.0 Hardening Guide.
Last week the document finally reached the GA status and it’s available for download.
The 110-pages must-read document all aspects of a virtual infrastructure, including:
- The virtualization hosts (both ESX and ESXi)
- Configuration of the virtual machine container (NOT hardening of the
guest OS or any applications running within)
- Configuration of the virtual networking infrastructure, including the
management and storage networks as well as the virtual switch (but NOT
security of the virtual machine’s network)
- vCenter Server, its database, and client components
- VMware Update Manager (included because the regular update and
patching of the ESX/ESXi hosts and the virtual machine containers is
essential to maintaining the security of the environment)