After more than one year VMware is finally ready to release a stand-alone version of its physical to virtual (P2V) / virtual to virtual (V2V) migration tool that matches the one embedded within VI 3.5.
So far the Standalone version (formerly split in Started Edition and Standalone Enterprise edition) of the product was frozen at version 3.0.3 and it’s unclear why the company took so long to upgrade it.
The new 4.0 version (build 146302) includes:
- Support for Red Hat, SUSE and Ubuntu Linux distributions as source
- Support for Microsoft Windows Server 2008 as source
- Support for Parallels Desktop virtual machines as source
- Incremental hot cloning (Converter now replicates any change happening to the source machine during the P2V migration)
- Power off source machine at the end of the conversion
- Selection of the target virtual disk and virtual volumes configuration
- Configuration of the target virtual machine
This product (now available in a single edition) remains available free of charge.
VMware published an insightful comparison between this version and the one included with VI 3.5: