One week ago VMware started a new, very welcome initiative: the publishing of long books, called VMbooks, about specific topics.
The first one, 232 pages, is titled: A Practical Guide to Business Continuity & Disaster Recovery with VMware Infrastructure 3.
This VMware VMbook focuses on business continuity and disaster recovery (BCDR) and is intended to guide the reader through the step-by-step process to set-up a multisite VMware Infrastructure that is capable of supporting BCDR services for designated virtual machines at time of test or during an actual event that necessitated the declaration of a disaster, resulting in the activation of services in a designated BCDR site.
Index of contents
- Chapter 1: Introduction
- Chapter 2: Understanding and Planning for BCDR
- Chapter 3: Virtualization and BCDR
- Chapter 4: High-Level Design Considerations
- Chapter 5: Implementing a VMware BCDR Solution
- Chapter 6: Advanced and Alternative Solutions
- Chapter 7: Service Failover and Failback Planning
- Chapter 8: Service Failover Testing
- Chapter 9: Network Infrastructure Details
- Chapter 10: Storage Connectivity
- Chapter 11: Storage Platform Details
- Chapter 12: Server Platform Details
- Appendix A: BCDR Failover Script
- Appendix B: VMware Tools Script
Of course the book is free of charge. Highly recommended.