The first 2008 updates for a virtualization platform comes from SWsoft which today announces Virtuozzo Containers 4.0 and definitively change its name (and logo) in Parallels, as announced in December.
This major release, postponed several times, unifies the Windows and Linux development branches after they remained separated for the last two years (Virtuozzo for Windows 3.5.1 and Virtuozzo for Linux 3.0), introducing some new important features likes:
- Redesigned consoles (which now include Parallels Infrastructure Manager)
- Enterprise management (multiple servers managements including templates and backups)
- Roles and permissions management
- Support for virtual SMP masking
- Support for containers live backup throuhg Microsoft Volume Shadow Service (VSS)
- Support for 3rd party backup tools (Microsoft, EMC, Symantec, IBM, CA)
- Support for Microsoft Cluster Service (MSCS) 2003 and Red Hat Cluster Suite
Download a trial here.
Both the virtualization.info Virtualization Industry Radar and the Virtualization Industry Roadmap have been updated accordingly.