PHD Technologies released the third version of its backup solution for VMware ESX Server: esXpress.
The new product introduces support for VMware Infrastructure 3 and the new concept of Virtual Backup Appliance (VBA): all backup tasks are moved inside a virtual machine instead of running at ESX console level.
Among other new features of esXpress 3.0:
- Multi-threaded processing of backups allows multiple simultaneous backups with minimal system impact
- Multiple backup transports and targets; ftp, sftp, scp, iSCSI, SAN, local storage and more
- VMware DRS aware and Vmotion compatible (VMs can be Vmotioned while backups are in progress)
- Virtual Center and Virtual Infrastructure Client aware
- Backup target failover combined with DRS mean no single point of failure
- Simple integration with VI3 client and VC (get feedback and issue backup commands)
The free version of the product, esXpress LE, still doesn’t work with VI3 but the new version is coming.
The virtualization.info Virtualization Industry Roadmap has been updated accordingly.