Yankee Group reports 76% of corporations to deploy server virtualization

Quoting from official press release:

The poll of 1,700 managers and executives worldwide revealed that three out of four businesses, regardless of size, already have or plan to deploy server virtualisation over the next 12 months.

Of the 76% of organisations that affirmed they will deploy virtualisation, +nearly two-thirds, 62%, already have a virtualisation solution in place or are in the process of migrating, while another 21% indicated they will install server virtualisation within the next 12 months. Only 4% of respondents, ranging from the smallest SMBs with under 50 users to the largest multinational enterprises with 100,000+ end users, said they had no plans to install a virtualisation solution.

VMWare is the clear and convincing market leader. 45% are deploying or plan to use VMWare’s ESX, while another 10% will install VMWare’s GSX. According to the survey results, VMWare has a total market share of 55%,
which it should easily maintain over the next 12 to 15 months.

Microsoft’s Virtual Server is second with 29% market share.

All of the other server virtualisation solution providers including the open source XenSource, XenOptimizer built into Red Hat Enterprise Linux and Novell SuSE are very small niche market solutions which each have only about 1% market share…

The whole press release is interesting and worth to read.