Quoting from the VMware official announcement:
VMware, Inc., the global leader in virtual infrastructure software for industry-standard systems, today announced that the VMware Technology Network (VMTN) received the Software Development Magazine Readers’ Choice award in the Most Innovative Tool category. VMTN is an online virtual infrastructure resource center at www.vmtn.net with broad technical and product resources designed to transform how software is developed, distributed and deployed.
“This award is a great endorsement of VMTN and we’re honored to continue to be recognized by the development community for our nonstop innovation,” said Karthik Rau, senior director of product management at VMware. “Since we launched VMTN in June of this year, it has become the leading resource for developers to understand new advances in virtualization technologies and to learn how to successfully develop and deploy applications in virtual environments.”
Software Development Magazine launched the Readers’ Choice awards in 2003 to discover which tools its readers find most valuable in the trenches, and the awards program continues to evolve, highlighting different aspects of the development process and the industry.
“Popularity contests are tricky to manage, but we think that in our third year of the Software Development Readers’ Choice awards, we’ve achieved a balance,” said Alexandra Weber Morales, editor-in-chief of Software Development Magazine. “The trick is to recognize not only ubiquity, but quality and customer loyalty.”
- Pre-built application environments in VMware virtual machines. With VMTN, VMware is leading an initiative to create the industry’s most comprehensive collection of pre-built, pre-configured and ready-to-run software applications, all packaged within virtual machines and available for download to any software developer. Industry-leading software vendors BEA Systems, MySQL AB, Novell, Oracle and Red Hat are among the first to distribute their software in virtual machines.
- Entire application environments can be pre-installed, pre-configured and “saved” within a best-practice virtual machine. Developers can eliminate many of the traditional stumbling blocks associated with testing, evaluating and deploying new software by using these pre-built applications within virtual machines. Recipients of these virtual machines can quickly and easily run them on VMware Player, which is available as a free download at www.vmware.com/download/player
- VMTN Subscription, which provides a powerful suite of VMware products, support and upgrades in a convenient, low-cost annual subscription of $299 per user. VMTN Subscription provides a consistent virtualization platform for development and test that is designed to increase the productivity and efficiency across the software development lifecycle, reduce cost and complexity and improve software quality.
- VMware products, validated by millions of users, are available in a suite designed and priced specifically for developers. VMTN Subscription includes VMware Workstation for individual developer productivity, VMware GSX Server and a developer version of VMware ESX Server with Virtual SMP for team collaboration and VMware P2V Assistant for migrating physical systems to virtual machines.
- In-depth technical resources, peer-to-peer discussion forums and insights from virtualization experts. VMTN is a virtual infrastructure destination designed to help developers and IT professionals share knowledge and best practices and develop, test and deploy applications in virtual environments
. “VMTN Subscriptions provide our engineers with a cost effective way for developing and testing within virtual development environments,” said Dave Wilkes, vice president of engineering at Novell. “Both product development and corporate development environments are dynamic, requiring flexibility to achieve a more productive development environment. We gain the productivity we need both as a solutions partner and corporate customer of VMware.”
More information on Software Development Magazine and the Readers’ Choice awards is available at www.sdmagazine.com.