VMware is granting customers a free update for its most famous product.
When a new version of VMware Workstation is about to be released, the VMware Workstation Technology Guarantee program entitles customers who purchase VMware Workstation within a qualified period to get an electronic download copy of the new release free of charge from the VMware Web site.
Customers who purchase any Full Product or Academic Product of VMware Workstation during the eligibility period are entitled to get the corresponding VMware Workstation 5, when available, free of charge via electronic download from the VMware web site.
Eligible Products Acquired During Technology Guarantee Program
– VMware Workstation 4.5 (for Windows Operating Systems)
– VMware Workstation 4.5 (for Linux Systems)
– VMware Workstation 4.5 Academic (for Windows Operating Systems)
– VMware Workstation 4.5 Academic (for Linux Systems)
Starting from December 16, 2004 to the commercial release of VMware Workstation 5 (expected to occur in the first half 2005).
1. Direct Electronic Download Purchases of Workstation 4.5 from VMware: Upon release of VMware Workstation 5, customers who have purchased product during the eligibility period will be able to download the new software from the VMware Web site. At the time of the release, details on how and where to perform the download will be posted on the VMware web site as well as listed on an email that will be sent out to all eligible customers.
2. Packaged Product purchases of Workstation 4.5 from resellers or directly from VMware: Upon release of VMware Workstation 5, customers who have purchased product during the eligibility period and have registered the serial number for product will be able to download the new software from the VMware Web site. At the time of the release, details on how and where to perform the download will be posted on the VMware web site as well as listed on an email that will be sent out to all eligible customers. VMware determines whether the product purchase occurs during the eligibility period based on the shipment date of the product for a specific serial number. In addition, VMware may require presentment of proof of purchase.
3. The free upgrade to Workstation 5 for eligible customers will be fulfilled via electronic download only (not via packaged versions of Workstation 5).
4. Only Full licenses of Workstation 4.5 are eligible products for the VMware Workstation Technology Guarantee Program. A customer who purchases an upgrade license from Workstation 3.x to Workstation 4.5 during the eligibility period is not eligible for this program. The list price of a VMware Workstation Full license is US$189.00 (Electronic Software Distribution) and US$199.00 (Packaged Software Distribution).
5. Customers who have a Workstation 3.x license must purchase a Full license of Workstation 5 when it becomes commercially available in order to upgrade to Workstation 5. We do not have an upgrade license for upgrading directly from Workstation 3.x to Workstation 5.
6. The free copy of Workstation 5 must be on the same platform and language as the original purchase.
7. Customers are required to visit the VMware Web site and enter their VMware Workstation 4.5 license serial number in order to receive their Workstation 5 license.
8. Customers who are covered under the Premium Support and Subscription Program are covered under its Terms and Conditions for upgrades.