Oracle integrates latest versions of Oracle VDI and Sun Ray Software with Oracle Enterprise Manager.
Oracle Enterprise Manager 12c is aiming to become the single vendor desktop virtualization solution as now includes integration of Oracle Virtual Desktop Infrastructure 3.5 and Sun Ray Software 5.4.
Oracle Virtual Desktop Infrastructure now supports Windows 8 and Ubuntu 12.0.4. based virtual desktops, Oracle Linux 6 and Oracle Solaris 1.1. , among the new features there is the ability to scale production installations from a single server to an enterprise deployment, adding as many servers as needed.
Sun Ray Clients connect to Oracle Virtual Desktop Infrastructure or Sun Ray Software and provides high-performance video and audio and high security, should consume little power, and providing investment protection with a long product lifespan.
Oracle Enterprise Manager 12c is going to combine management of the full Oracle stack with complete enterprise cloud lifecycle management. This product would have to give total cloud control, reduce downtime by up to 90%, Oracle declares that is going to improve staff productivity by up to 75% and reduce capital expenditures on servers by 20% or more.
Improvements highlighted include:
- Enhanced management: Oracle Enterprise Manager 12c integration provides an end-to-end management solution, allowing organizations to improve service levels by proactively monitoring and managing the performance and availability of Oracle Virtual Desktop Infrastructure and Sun Ray Software services and sessions, along with their enterprise applications and hardware, from a single console.
- Simplified deployment and easy scalability: Administrators can seamlessly expand up to enterprise-scale deployments by starting with a single commodity server, containing all the necessary components engineered to work together, including a virtualization platform, local storage and session management. By leveraging a new local storage high availability feature, administrators simply add hardware to extend capacity as demand grows, without the need to “rip and replace” the existing deployment.
- Improved handling of virtual desktop data: The personal hard drive feature of Oracle Virtual Desktop Infrastructure, which allows administrators to separate user data and settings from virtual desktop images, has been enhanced to support pre-populating user data when new virtual desktops are created, improving login performance and simplifying backups. A new “application hard drive” type reduces server load by storing just a single copy of applications used by many users.
- Administrative enhancements: Oracle Virtual Desktop Infrastructure administrators can now schedule the time and date when new virtual desktop templates are published, allowing for unattended updates during off-peak hours.
- Richer user experience: Dynamic virtual desktop resizing and rotation improves usability of virtual desktops on iPad and Android tablets. The new releases also provide enhanced multimedia playback for Windows 7 desktop environments with up to 720p High Definition (HD) video in Windows Media Player on Sun Ray 3 Series Client devices.
- Improved security: New IPsec option provides encryption levels up to AES-256, securing communication between Sun Ray Clients and Oracle Virtual Desktop Infrastructure and Sun Ray Software servers. Linux-based deployments now provide smart card capabilities for Windows virtual desktops, including two factor authentication, PIN login, and identity and signature services.
blog comments powered by Disqus
virtualization.info Newest articles
August 11th, 2016
Last week Gartner updated its Magic Quadrant for Cloud Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS) for the year 2016. The Magic Quadrant for the year 2015 was released in May last year…
August 2nd, 2016
Ansible is one of the four main players in the automation market, younger then the well known Chef and Puppet, has been launched in 2013 in Durham, N.C. and acquired…
July 19th, 2016
Yesterday IBM announced its results for Q2 2016.
If we compare with the same quarter in 2015 earnings per share, from continuing operations, decreased 22%. Net income, from continuing operations,…
June 24th, 2016
Red Hat announced its financial results for the first quarter of fiscal year 2017.
Total revenue for the first quarter was $568 million, with an increase of 18% from the…
June 24th, 2016
Today Red Hat released in beta version 4.0 of its KVM-based virtualization platform Red Hat Enterprise Virtualization (RHEV).
As a major release RHEV 4.0 ships a wide series of enhancements including:
June 21st, 2016
virtualization.info has been following WhatMatrix since its inception and, after 6 months since the website has been launched, we are happy to report that its community is growing and contributing…
June 21st, 2016
DockerCon 2016 began yesterday in Seattle with a number of announcements from Docker and key partners.
Here is a quick summary of the day:
Docker 1.12 with built-in orchestration: starting…
June 14th, 2016
Yesterday, Bellevue (WA) based company WinDocks, released a free edition of its homonymous port of the Docker daemon to Windows called WinDocks Community Edition.
The company, founded by a small…
May 12th, 2016
Containers’ security is one of the emerging topics in those companies moving this technology into production. A few small players emerged to compete exclusively in this portion of the…
May 3rd, 2016
RightScale is a Santa Barbara, CA based company, provider of a Software as a Service (SaaS) management solution that so far only supported standard Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS) cloud…
April 5th, 2016
Yesterday, Bellevue (WA) based company WinDocks, released version 1.0 of its homonymous Docker engine for Windows.
The company, founded by a small group of former Microsoft’s employees, rides Docker’s…
March 17th, 2016
LANDesk Software, founded in 1985 and headquartered in Salt Lake City, Utah , provides systems management, security management, service management, asset management and process management solutions with a strong focus…
March 15th, 2016
Last week open source giant Red Hat announced the availability of version 3.6 of its KVM-based virtualization platform Red Hat Enterprise Virtualization (RHEV).
While this new release provides the expected…
March 4th, 2016
Yesterday Docker announced to have acquired a semi-stealth startup called Conductant, focused on workloads orchestration.
Both Conductant’s founders, Bill Farner and David Chung, have significant enterprise experience coming from…