In October last year, virtualization.info reported on a Survey titled State of the VDI and SBC union hosted by Project Virtual Reality Check (VRC). The Survey has since then been filled in by more than 600 responders and now Project VRC has made the results available in a new paper titled: “State of the VDI and SBC union 2013“. The paper which contains 69 pages is available for download after registration on the Project VRC website.
The paper covers all of the questions asked in the survey, and comes with the following main conclusions:
- VDI market is still very early stage. Manageability and flexibility will fuel growth
- VMware is the dominant hypervisor for VDI. This position will probably not change
- Citrix XenDesktop is the dominant connection broker. VMware View strong second
- The use of stateless VDI seems larger than most analyst projections
- WAN optimization and Unified Communications are not widely used in VDI
- HP is the dominant server for VDI workloads, Dell is strong second
- Most infrastructures deploy 1vCPU per VM, while 2vCPU is a best practice
- Antivirus is widely used with VDI, but usage of VDI optimized solutions is still rare
- User Environment Management solutions are not widely used in VDI, Microsoft SCCM dominant as Client Management solution
- The majority uses Windows 7 x64 as desktop VM. Which may cause performance sizing and application readiness problems.
- Application Virtualization is used widely with VDI, Microsoft is dominant.
- Storage use is still mostly central, established large vendors are still dominant here.
- SBC market is very mature in comparison to VDI. Citrix XenApp is very dominant.
- User experience/performance is the key innovation area for SBC/VDI adaption.
blog comments powered by Disqus
virtualization.info Newest articles
April 5th, 2016
Yesterday, Bellevue (WA) based company WinDocks, released version 1.0 of its homonymous Docker engine for Windows.
The company, founded by a small group of former Microsoft’s employees, rides Docker’s…
March 17th, 2016
LANDesk Software, founded in 1985 and headquartered in Salt Lake City, Utah , provides systems management, security management, service management, asset management and process management solutions with a strong focus…
March 15th, 2016
Last week open source giant Red Hat announced the availability of version 3.6 of its KVM-based virtualization platform Red Hat Enterprise Virtualization (RHEV).
While this new release provides the expected…
March 4th, 2016
Yesterday Docker announced to have acquired a semi-stealth startup called Conductant, focused on workloads orchestration.
Both Conductant’s founders, Bill Farner and David Chung, have significant enterprise experience coming from…
March 1st, 2016
Today Cisco announced the intent to acquire CliQr Technologies Inc., a privately held company based in San Jose, CA.
CliQr is one of the most promising startups in the Cloud…
February 11th, 2016
Yesterday VMware announced version 7 of both its vCloud and vRealize suites, confirming its efforts to be relevant in the CMPs (Cloud Management Platforms) space.
vRealize Suite 7 is made…
February 11th, 2016
Platform9 solutions leverages a mix of SaaS and on premises Virtual Appliance to provide into supported environments capabilities typical of Cloud Management Platforms (CMPs) such self-service provisioning, monitoring, configuration…
February 10th, 2016
Log Insight is a log aggregation, management and analisys tool, that VMware first introduced in 2013 and now is fiercely competing against Splunk.
Today the company announced Log Insight 3.3…
February 1st, 2016
During Ignite 2015, back in September, Microsoft announced Microsoft Azure Stack as the building block for its hybrid cloud strategy.
What Microsoft is saying with this move is that, despite…
January 14th, 2016
Ansible is an IT automation tool especially popular within the developers’ community, thanks to its simplicity and agentless nature.
Three months away from its acquisition by Red Hat the company announced…
December 23rd, 2015
Nutanix is a provider of converged infrastructure, basically a physical server containing both compute and storage driven by an Installed Hypervisor of choice, this server, called a node can…
December 23rd, 2015
Last week VMware finally completed the first major update of VMware vRealize Suite, its well known cloud management solution, releasing in GA both vRealize Automation 7 and vRealize Business Standard…
December 15th, 2015
virtualization.info has been following Virtualization Matrix since its early steps and we recently wrote about its crowdsourced-powered heir: WhatMatrix.
Today we are happy to report that its community, formed…
November 18th, 2015
As you may have heard, Microsoft recently announced its “historical” partnership with Red Hat, something that a number of analysts already claimed as a milestone for both companies but especially for…