In October last year, virtualization.info reported on a Survey titled State of the VDI and SBC union hosted by Project Virtual Reality Check (VRC). The Survey has since then been filled in by more than 600 responders and now Project VRC has made the results available in a new paper titled: “State of the VDI and SBC union 2013“. The paper which contains 69 pages is available for download after registration on the Project VRC website.
The paper covers all of the questions asked in the survey, and comes with the following main conclusions:
- VDI market is still very early stage. Manageability and flexibility will fuel growth
- VMware is the dominant hypervisor for VDI. This position will probably not change
- Citrix XenDesktop is the dominant connection broker. VMware View strong second
- The use of stateless VDI seems larger than most analyst projections
- WAN optimization and Unified Communications are not widely used in VDI
- HP is the dominant server for VDI workloads, Dell is strong second
- Most infrastructures deploy 1vCPU per VM, while 2vCPU is a best practice
- Antivirus is widely used with VDI, but usage of VDI optimized solutions is still rare
- User Environment Management solutions are not widely used in VDI, Microsoft SCCM dominant as Client Management solution
- The majority uses Windows 7 x64 as desktop VM. Which may cause performance sizing and application readiness problems.
- Application Virtualization is used widely with VDI, Microsoft is dominant.
- Storage use is still mostly central, established large vendors are still dominant here.
- SBC market is very mature in comparison to VDI. Citrix XenApp is very dominant.
- User experience/performance is the key innovation area for SBC/VDI adaption.
blog comments powered by Disqus
virtualization.info Newest articles
July 24th, 2015
VMware released the results about its results for Q2 2015.
VMware, announced a GAAP total revenue growth of $1.52 billion, for an increase of 4 percent compared to Q2 2014. License revenues…
July 21st, 2015
Gartner released its Magic Quadrant for x86 Server Virtualization Infrastructure for year 2015, once more positioning VMware and Microsoft in the leaders Quadrant.
No surprises in the leaders quadrant, as…
July 21st, 2015
Parallels announced the availability of Parallels Mac Management 4.0 for Microsoft System Center Configuration Manager (SCCM), extending its range of capabilities to Mac computers.
This new release increases the flexibility…
July 10th, 2015
On July 8, Avast Software, a Czech private limited company provider of antivirus and security software products announced to have acquired Silicon Valley based Remotium, a company founded in…
July 8th, 2015
Oracle has announced to have released version 5.0 Candidate 1 (RC1) for its virtualization platform VM VirtualBox. The release brings enhancement and bug fixes to the previous versions, improving stability…
July 1st, 2015
Containers continue to gain traction, IBM announced the release of enterprise class containers based on Docker and built on its Platform as a Service, Bluemix for hybrid environments. It will…
July 1st, 2015
The Xen Project, the community which develops the Xen hypervisor under the GNU General Public License (GPLv2) announced the availability of a new maintenance release, version 4.5.1 of the Xen…
June 29th, 2015
Last week, Red Hat held its premiere event in Boston, Massachusetts from June 23 to 26, the Red Hat Summit, where several announcements have been made.
The summit offered over…
June 29th, 2015
Network virtualization is one of the hot topics within the OpenStack community. Last week japanese startup Midokura focused on network virtualization announced the assignment of Takashi Yamamoto as OpenStack…
June 24th, 2015
On June 18 Red Hat announced its financial results for its fiscal year 2016 and for the first quarter of 2015.
Total revenue for the first quarter ended May 31,…
June 11th, 2015
Rancher Labs is a startup providing management on top of the Docker containers, today the company has announced that it has raised $10 million in a series A funding…
May 26th, 2015
EMC has acquired Virtustream, a Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS) provider originally funded among the others from SAP for 1.2 billion US dollars. Virtustream also provides a Cloud Management Platform…
May 25th, 2015
Japanese startup Midokura focused on network virtualization announced the availability of Midokura Enterprise MidoNet (MEM). MidoNet is a scalable network virtualization solution integrated with OpenStack Kilo networking project and…
May 20th, 2015
Red Hat yesterday announced the release of version 3.2. of its cloud management software, CloudForms. CloudForms allows the management of hypervisors from Red Hat, VMware and Microsoft as well as…