In February this year, virtualization.info reported about VMware which exposed some of the upcoming features of vSphere 5 during its Partner Exchange. Last week even more details appeared online, these details leaked on a Turkish Web Forum, but were removed later. The post itself can still be retrieved from Google Cache though.
Besides, Distributed Resource Scheduling (DRS) for Storage, Host-based replication for Site Recovery Manager, and Network I/O control for Virtual Machines, vSphere 5 will feature:
- Build on the vSphere ESXi hypervisor architecture
- vSphere Auto Deploy combining host profiles, Image Builder and PXE
- Unified CLI framework, allowing consistency of authentication, roles and auditing.
- Support for up to 1 TB of memory
- Support for 32 vCPU’s per VM
- Nonhardware accelerated 3D graphics for Windows Aero support
- USB 3.0 device support
- UEFI virtual BIOS
- Host EUFI boot support
- New GUI to configure multicore vCPUs
- Client-connected USB devices
- Smart card reader support for VMs
- Apple Mac OS X Server 10.6 (Snow Leopard) guest OS support
- Support for up to 512 VMs
- Support for up to 160 Logical CPUs and 2 TB or RAM
- Improved SNMP support
- Storage driven storage delivery based on the VMware-Aware Storage APIs
- Improved version of the Cluster File System, VMFS5
- Accelerator for specific use with View (VDI) workloads, providing a read cache optimized for recognizing, handling and deduplicating VDI client images.
- iSCSI user interface support
- Storage APIs – Array Integration: Thin Provisioning enabling reclaiming blocks of a thin provisioned LUN on the array when a virtual disk is deleted
- Swap to SSD
- 2TB+ LUN support
- Storage vMotion snapshot support
- vNetwork Distributed Switch improvements providing improved visibility in VM traffic
- ESXi Firewall protecting the ESXi 5.0 management interface
- A browser-based, fully-extensible, platform-independent implementation of the vSphere Client based on Adobe Flex.
- vCenter Server Appliance
- Inventory Extensibility: providing a manager to monitor partner extensions.
- vCenter Solutions Manager, providing a consistent interface to configure and monitor vCenter-integrated solutions developed by VMware and third parties.
- System message logging enhancements
- Revamped VMware High Availability (HA) with Fault Domain Manager
- All hosts in cluster can be primary nodes
- Cluster also uses shared storage as a channel for heartbeat detection
Thanks to Techtarget for providing the news
blog comments powered by Disqus
virtualization.info Newest articles
July 24th, 2015
VMware released the results about its results for Q2 2015.
VMware, announced a GAAP total revenue growth of $1.52 billion, for an increase of 4 percent compared to Q2 2014. License revenues…
July 21st, 2015
Gartner released its Magic Quadrant for x86 Server Virtualization Infrastructure for year 2015, once more positioning VMware and Microsoft in the leaders Quadrant.
No surprises in the leaders quadrant, as…
July 21st, 2015
Parallels announced the availability of Parallels Mac Management 4.0 for Microsoft System Center Configuration Manager (SCCM), extending its range of capabilities to Mac computers.
This new release increases the flexibility…
July 10th, 2015
On July 8, Avast Software, a Czech private limited company provider of antivirus and security software products announced to have acquired Silicon Valley based Remotium, a company founded in…
July 8th, 2015
Oracle has announced to have released version 5.0 Candidate 1 (RC1) for its virtualization platform VM VirtualBox. The release brings enhancement and bug fixes to the previous versions, improving stability…
July 1st, 2015
Containers continue to gain traction, IBM announced the release of enterprise class containers based on Docker and built on its Platform as a Service, Bluemix for hybrid environments. It will…
July 1st, 2015
The Xen Project, the community which develops the Xen hypervisor under the GNU General Public License (GPLv2) announced the availability of a new maintenance release, version 4.5.1 of the Xen…
June 29th, 2015
Last week, Red Hat held its premiere event in Boston, Massachusetts from June 23 to 26, the Red Hat Summit, where several announcements have been made.
The summit offered over…
June 29th, 2015
Network virtualization is one of the hot topics within the OpenStack community. Last week japanese startup Midokura focused on network virtualization announced the assignment of Takashi Yamamoto as OpenStack…
June 24th, 2015
On June 18 Red Hat announced its financial results for its fiscal year 2016 and for the first quarter of 2015.
Total revenue for the first quarter ended May 31,…
June 11th, 2015
Rancher Labs is a startup providing management on top of the Docker containers, today the company has announced that it has raised $10 million in a series A funding…
May 26th, 2015
EMC has acquired Virtustream, a Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS) provider originally funded among the others from SAP for 1.2 billion US dollars. Virtustream also provides a Cloud Management Platform…
May 25th, 2015
Japanese startup Midokura focused on network virtualization announced the availability of Midokura Enterprise MidoNet (MEM). MidoNet is a scalable network virtualization solution integrated with OpenStack Kilo networking project and…
May 20th, 2015
Red Hat yesterday announced the release of version 3.2. of its cloud management software, CloudForms. CloudForms allows the management of hypervisors from Red Hat, VMware and Microsoft as well as…