In February this year, virtualization.info reported about VMware which exposed some of the upcoming features of vSphere 5 during its Partner Exchange. Last week even more details appeared online, these details leaked on a Turkish Web Forum, but were removed later. The post itself can still be retrieved from Google Cache though.
Besides, Distributed Resource Scheduling (DRS) for Storage, Host-based replication for Site Recovery Manager, and Network I/O control for Virtual Machines, vSphere 5 will feature:
- Build on the vSphere ESXi hypervisor architecture
- vSphere Auto Deploy combining host profiles, Image Builder and PXE
- Unified CLI framework, allowing consistency of authentication, roles and auditing.
- Support for up to 1 TB of memory
- Support for 32 vCPU’s per VM
- Nonhardware accelerated 3D graphics for Windows Aero support
- USB 3.0 device support
- UEFI virtual BIOS
- Host EUFI boot support
- New GUI to configure multicore vCPUs
- Client-connected USB devices
- Smart card reader support for VMs
- Apple Mac OS X Server 10.6 (Snow Leopard) guest OS support
- Support for up to 512 VMs
- Support for up to 160 Logical CPUs and 2 TB or RAM
- Improved SNMP support
- Storage driven storage delivery based on the VMware-Aware Storage APIs
- Improved version of the Cluster File System, VMFS5
- Accelerator for specific use with View (VDI) workloads, providing a read cache optimized for recognizing, handling and deduplicating VDI client images.
- iSCSI user interface support
- Storage APIs – Array Integration: Thin Provisioning enabling reclaiming blocks of a thin provisioned LUN on the array when a virtual disk is deleted
- Swap to SSD
- 2TB+ LUN support
- Storage vMotion snapshot support
- vNetwork Distributed Switch improvements providing improved visibility in VM traffic
- ESXi Firewall protecting the ESXi 5.0 management interface
- A browser-based, fully-extensible, platform-independent implementation of the vSphere Client based on Adobe Flex.
- vCenter Server Appliance
- Inventory Extensibility: providing a manager to monitor partner extensions.
- vCenter Solutions Manager, providing a consistent interface to configure and monitor vCenter-integrated solutions developed by VMware and third parties.
- System message logging enhancements
- Revamped VMware High Availability (HA) with Fault Domain Manager
- All hosts in cluster can be primary nodes
- Cluster also uses shared storage as a channel for heartbeat detection
Thanks to Techtarget for providing the news
blog comments powered by Disqus
virtualization.info Newest articles
November 18th, 2015
As you may have heard, Microsoft recently announced its “historical” partnership with Red Hat, something that a number of analysts already claimed as a milestone for both companies but especially for…
October 16th, 2015
Today Red Hat announced that it has signed a definitive agreement to acquire Ansible, provider of an IT automation tool popular especially within the developers’ community.
The acquisition is rumored…
October 12th, 2015
Dell today announced that it signed a definitive agreement to acquire EMC Corporation for a total of $67 billion, making it the largest ever acquisition in the technology industry so…
October 2nd, 2015
Red Hat announced its financial results for the second quarter of fiscal year 2016.
Total revenue for the second quarter ended Augus 31, 2015 was $504 million, with an increase…
September 21st, 2015
Citrix on its website announced that it started the End-of-Life process of Citrix XenClient Enterprise, the end of life date will be December 12, 2016.
XenClient consists of two technologies,…
September 9th, 2015
Altaro Software, company specialized in backup for virtualized environments, specifically Microsoft Hyper-V, announced the release of Altaro VM Backup, previously known as Altaro Hyper-V Backup, rebranded to introduce VMware…
September 9th, 2015
CloudPhysics, provider of a SaaS performance and capacity analytics solution, announced to have released a new version of its SaaS offering allowing now VMware users to preempt and eliminate…
September 2nd, 2015
During its annual VMworld conference held between August 30 and September 3 in San Fransicso VMware made several announcements. During the keynote on Monday several data center related announcements and…
August 25th, 2015
VMware today released version 12 of its type-2 client hypervisor products for Microsoft Windows: Workstation Pro and Player and version 8 of its client hypervisor products for Mac OSX: Fusion….
August 25th, 2015
Veeam today released version 8.0 of its Management Pack for Microsoft System Center Operations Manager (SCOM or OpsMgr). Using this Management Pack customers running Operations Manager to monitor vSphere and…
August 24th, 2015
Oracle has released version 5.0 of its type-2 virtualization platform VM VirtualBox. Starting with a public beta in April this year and some more test builds and a release candidate…
August 19th, 2015
Microsoft today announced the release of the 3rd technical preview of the next version of its Server Operating System (Windows Server 2016 TP3) and corresponding management software (System Center…
August 19th, 2015
We quoted several times Virtualization Matrix, the website created to compare the capabilities of the various virtualization platforms on the market such VMware, Microsoft and Citrix.
This idea sparked…
August 18th, 2015
Microsoft has released version 4.0. of its Integration Services for Linux. Hyper-V supports both emulated (“legacy”) and Hyper-V-specific (“synthetic”) devices for Linux virtual machines. When a Linux virtual machine…