William Lam, a UNIX Systems Administrator at Salesforce.com, popular in the virtualization community, develops a Perl script which scans VMware ESX/ESXi hosts and vSphere vCenter servers and reports the status of number of aspects.
Called VMware Health Check Report, it reached version 4.0 yesterday, offering very welcome new capabilities:
- Report is now completely modular in which categories to display via a configuration file
- Ability to specify specific ESX/ESXi host to query
- Ability to specify specific Virtual Mchines to query
- vCenter HA Advanced Runtime information
- vCenter HA Configuration (primary/secondary and node states)
- vCenter HA Advanced Configurations
- vCenter DRS Advanced Runtime information
- ESX/ESXi IP/HOSTNAME of vCenter Management IP
- ESX/ESXi Newly improved Hardware and System Health Stuats information
- ESX/ESXi Advanced Configurations
- ESX/ESXi NUMA information
- VM UUID,Bootime,Resource Statistics, Fault Tolerance, Thin provisioned and NPIV information
The list of aspects that it was already able to check is impressive
- vCenter Managed IP per ESX(i) host
- vCenter User/Group Permissions
- Added Host & SCSI LUN Model attribute
- Added Host boottime
- Additional LUN Mapping information including Datastore,VolumeUUID,DiskName and DeviceName
- VM portgroup + dvportgroup mapping
- Performance Stats for both Cluster + Hosts (cpu/mem avg + %)
- Performance Stats for VM (cpu/mem avg + %, ready & ballon)
- Email report capability
- Added additional command line options for including Cluster,Host and VM Performance stats (default: off)
- New licensing format/summary
- EVC Enabled information
- Cluster VM monitoring
- Cluster Host monitoring}
- # off VMotions within a cluster
- Datastore uncommitted info
- CPU power management info
- VM info (FT, Record/Replay, Clean Poweroff)
- Host IPv6, FT, SSL Thumbprint
- Host Profiles
- vApp information
- Distributed vSwitch information}
- vCenter Build/Release
- Active Sessions
- ESX/ESXi Build/Release
- Cluster(s) Name/Statistics (Hosts,CPU and MEM availabity, HA,DRS and DPM enabled, Resource Pools, Health)
- ESX/ESXi Hardware configuration (NICs/HBAs)
- ESX/ESXi Hardware Health Sensor via CIM
- ESX/ESXi State
- ESX/ESXi Configurations (for detailed information, use detail-hosts option)
- ESX/ESXi Multipathing Info (only available in host or detail-hosts option)
- ESX/ESXi Datastore summary
- ESX/ESXi LUN summary
- ESX/ESXi Portgroup summary
- ESX/ESXi Hostd logs
- CDP Summary
- Recent Tasks
- Virtual Machine summary
- VM Storage summary
- VM Network summary
- VM w/Snapshots
- VM w/Snapshot delta age
- VM w/RDMs
- VM w/NPIV enabled
- VM w/connected CD-ROMs
- VM w/connected Floppys
Here’s a sample report that the tool can generate.
blog comments powered by Disqus
virtualization.info Newest articles
October 21st, 2016
Citrix announced its financial results for third quarter 2016.
The revenues for the second quarter were $841 million for an increase of 3% compared to Q3 2015.
Net income was $132…
October 19th, 2016
2016 edition of VMworld US has been quite turbulent, on the other hand during VMworld Europe, happening these days in Barcelona, the company announced a few more products for the…
October 18th, 2016
Log Insight is a log aggregation, management and analisys tool, that VMware first introduced in 2013 and now is usually compared with Splunk.
Yesterday VMware announced Log Insight’s new major…
October 13th, 2016
Yesterday Microsoft announced the general availability of Windows Server 2016 which the company defines as a cloud-ready OS.
Beside fancy definitions, one of the most relevant perks of this release…
September 22nd, 2016
During Oracle OpenWorld 2016 the company released version 3.4.2 of its enterprise virtualization solution.
Oracle VM is available for both x86 and SPARC based processor architectures and uses the Xen hypervisor…
September 1st, 2016
Today was the last day of VMware’s flagship conference VMworld in Las Vegas, an highly controversial edition which left a good chunk of the audience disoriented if not properly disappointed….
August 11th, 2016
Last week Gartner updated its Magic Quadrant for Cloud Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS) for the year 2016. The Magic Quadrant for the year 2015 was released in May last year…
August 2nd, 2016
Ansible is one of the four main players in the automation market, younger then the well known Chef and Puppet, has been launched in 2013 in Durham, N.C. and acquired…
July 19th, 2016
Yesterday IBM announced its results for Q2 2016.
If we compare with the same quarter in 2015 earnings per share, from continuing operations, decreased 22%. Net income, from continuing operations,…
June 24th, 2016
Red Hat announced its financial results for the first quarter of fiscal year 2017.
Total revenue for the first quarter was $568 million, with an increase of 18% from the…
June 24th, 2016
Today Red Hat released in beta version 4.0 of its KVM-based virtualization platform Red Hat Enterprise Virtualization (RHEV).
As a major release RHEV 4.0 ships a wide series of enhancements including:
June 21st, 2016
virtualization.info has been following WhatMatrix since its inception and, after 6 months since the website has been launched, we are happy to report that its community is growing and contributing…
June 21st, 2016
DockerCon 2016 began yesterday in Seattle with a number of announcements from Docker and key partners.
Here is a quick summary of the day:
Docker 1.12 with built-in orchestration: starting…
June 14th, 2016
Yesterday, Bellevue (WA) based company WinDocks, released a free edition of its homonymous port of the Docker daemon to Windows called WinDocks Community Edition.
The company, founded by a small…