One hour before starting a joint webcast with Citrix about its new virtualization strategy for desktops, Microsoft briefly announces a number of new initiatives, upcoming technologies and licensing changes.
About hosted desktop virtualization:
- The Windows XP SP3 virtual machine that can be run on Windows 7 Virtual PC, called XP Mode, will no longer require hardware virtualization to be executed.
This is probably the best way Microsoft found to solve the problems that Sony created to many customers with its shortsighted strategy.
The new version is available now as a hotfix.
About bare-metal server virtualization:
- Windows Server 2008 R2 Service Pack 1 will introduce a memory overcommit technique for Hyper-V R2 called Dynamic Memory.
The news leaked at the beginning of February.
- The remote desktop acceleration technology acquired by Calista in January 2008, now renamed as RemoteFX, will arrive with Windows Server R2 Service Pack 1 and will be integrated in Remote Desktop Services (RDS).
RemoteFX can be considered an accelerator for RDP over the LAN for Windows 7 SP1 clients only.
- Beginning July 1, 2010, Windows Client Software Assurance (SA) will include the VECD license for free.
Customers that don’t wont to subscribe the SA will be able to buy a new Virtual Desktop Access (VDA) license: $100 /device/year instead of $110 of the VECD.
- Beginning July 1, 2010, Windows Client Software Assurance (SA) and new Virtual Desktop Access (VDA) license customers will have the right to access their virtual desktop and Office applications inside it on secondary, non-corporate network devices, such as home PCs and kiosks.
- Microsoft and Citrix signed a new technology agreement to integrate and extend Microsoft RemoteFX with Citrix HDX.
- Microsoft and Citrix launched a joint trade-in program dubbed “Rescue for VMware VDI”, offering up to 500 licenses to VMware View customers at no additional cost, and offering to new customers a 70% discount on Microsoft VDI Standard Suite subscription license and a 50% discount on Citrix XenDesktop VDI Edition annual license ($28 per device for up to 250 devices for one year).
Update: Brian Madden just published a video of RemoteFX in action.
blog comments powered by Disqus
virtualization.info Newest articles
July 24th, 2015
VMware released the results about its results for Q2 2015.
VMware, announced a GAAP total revenue growth of $1.52 billion, for an increase of 4 percent compared to Q2 2014. License revenues…
July 21st, 2015
Gartner released its Magic Quadrant for x86 Server Virtualization Infrastructure for year 2015, once more positioning VMware and Microsoft in the leaders Quadrant.
No surprises in the leaders quadrant, as…
July 21st, 2015
Parallels announced the availability of Parallels Mac Management 4.0 for Microsoft System Center Configuration Manager (SCCM), extending its range of capabilities to Mac computers.
This new release increases the flexibility…
July 10th, 2015
On July 8, Avast Software, a Czech private limited company provider of antivirus and security software products announced to have acquired Silicon Valley based Remotium, a company founded in…
July 8th, 2015
Oracle has announced to have released version 5.0 Candidate 1 (RC1) for its virtualization platform VM VirtualBox. The release brings enhancement and bug fixes to the previous versions, improving stability…
July 1st, 2015
Containers continue to gain traction, IBM announced the release of enterprise class containers based on Docker and built on its Platform as a Service, Bluemix for hybrid environments. It will…
July 1st, 2015
The Xen Project, the community which develops the Xen hypervisor under the GNU General Public License (GPLv2) announced the availability of a new maintenance release, version 4.5.1 of the Xen…
June 29th, 2015
Last week, Red Hat held its premiere event in Boston, Massachusetts from June 23 to 26, the Red Hat Summit, where several announcements have been made.
The summit offered over…
June 29th, 2015
Network virtualization is one of the hot topics within the OpenStack community. Last week japanese startup Midokura focused on network virtualization announced the assignment of Takashi Yamamoto as OpenStack…
June 24th, 2015
On June 18 Red Hat announced its financial results for its fiscal year 2016 and for the first quarter of 2015.
Total revenue for the first quarter ended May 31,…
June 11th, 2015
Rancher Labs is a startup providing management on top of the Docker containers, today the company has announced that it has raised $10 million in a series A funding…
May 26th, 2015
EMC has acquired Virtustream, a Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS) provider originally funded among the others from SAP for 1.2 billion US dollars. Virtustream also provides a Cloud Management Platform…
May 25th, 2015
Japanese startup Midokura focused on network virtualization announced the availability of Midokura Enterprise MidoNet (MEM). MidoNet is a scalable network virtualization solution integrated with OpenStack Kilo networking project and…
May 20th, 2015
Red Hat yesterday announced the release of version 3.2. of its cloud management software, CloudForms. CloudForms allows the management of hypervisors from Red Hat, VMware and Microsoft as well as…