One hour before starting a joint webcast with Citrix about its new virtualization strategy for desktops, Microsoft briefly announces a number of new initiatives, upcoming technologies and licensing changes.
About hosted desktop virtualization:
- The Windows XP SP3 virtual machine that can be run on Windows 7 Virtual PC, called XP Mode, will no longer require hardware virtualization to be executed.
This is probably the best way Microsoft found to solve the problems that Sony created to many customers with its shortsighted strategy.
The new version is available now as a hotfix.
About bare-metal server virtualization:
- Windows Server 2008 R2 Service Pack 1 will introduce a memory overcommit technique for Hyper-V R2 called Dynamic Memory.
The news leaked at the beginning of February.
- The remote desktop acceleration technology acquired by Calista in January 2008, now renamed as RemoteFX, will arrive with Windows Server R2 Service Pack 1 and will be integrated in Remote Desktop Services (RDS).
RemoteFX can be considered an accelerator for RDP over the LAN for Windows 7 SP1 clients only.
- Beginning July 1, 2010, Windows Client Software Assurance (SA) will include the VECD license for free.
Customers that don’t wont to subscribe the SA will be able to buy a new Virtual Desktop Access (VDA) license: $100 /device/year instead of $110 of the VECD.
- Beginning July 1, 2010, Windows Client Software Assurance (SA) and new Virtual Desktop Access (VDA) license customers will have the right to access their virtual desktop and Office applications inside it on secondary, non-corporate network devices, such as home PCs and kiosks.
- Microsoft and Citrix signed a new technology agreement to integrate and extend Microsoft RemoteFX with Citrix HDX.
- Microsoft and Citrix launched a joint trade-in program dubbed “Rescue for VMware VDI”, offering up to 500 licenses to VMware View customers at no additional cost, and offering to new customers a 70% discount on Microsoft VDI Standard Suite subscription license and a 50% discount on Citrix XenDesktop VDI Edition annual license ($28 per device for up to 250 devices for one year).
Update: Brian Madden just published a video of RemoteFX in action.
blog comments powered by Disqus
virtualization.info Newest articles
April 30th, 2015
Microsoft has released Update Rollup 6 for the following products within the System Center 2012 R2 suite: Service Manager (SCSM), Operations Manager (SCOM), Virtual Machine Manager (SCVMM) and Service…
April 28th, 2015
Citrix announced its financial results for first quarter 2015.
The revenues for the first quarter were $761 million for an increase of 1% compared to Q1 2014.
Net income was $29…
April 28th, 2015
VMware released the results about its growth for Q1 2015.
VMware, announced a total revenue growth of $1.51 billion, for an increase of 11 percent compared to Q1 2014. License revenues were…
April 23rd, 2015
VMware has released a paper titled: "VMware AlwaysOn Desktop Design Guide". The paper which contains 30 pages describes a high-availability solution for virtual desktops (VDI) and is based on View…
April 22nd, 2015
Microsoft has released a free ebook titled:"Microsoft System Center Operations Manager Field Experience". System Center Operations Manager provides the monitoring component as part of the Microsoft System Center Suite….
April 22nd, 2015
In February this year, VMware acquired Immidio including its products AppScriber and Immidio Flex+. Now VMware has rebranded the product as VMware User Environment Manager.
User Environment Manager is available…
April 21st, 2015
VMware yesterday announced to new projects, Project Photon and Project Lightwave. Project Photon is a Linux Operating System which is optimized to run on vSphere and capable of running what…
April 21st, 2015
Docker has released version 1.6 of its container virtualization solution, Docker Engine. Also updates for Registry, Compose, Swarm and Machine and a preview of a client for Microsoft Windows…
April 16th, 2015
Lately it’s been a busy time for Docker, after disclosing the availability of its orchestration tools and the acquisition of SocketPlane, the open-source project that automates the deployment of…
April 15th, 2015
Docker, provider of the Docker container virtualization platform has announced that it has raised $ 95 million in a series D funding round. The round was led by Insight…
April 14th, 2015
VMware has released a paper titled: "How VMware Mirage Complements and Extends Microsoft System Center Configuration Manager". The paper, which contains 28 pages details how VMware Mirage, VMware’s centralized image…
April 13th, 2015
VMware has released a paper titled: "VMware Horizon 6 Storage Considerations". The paper which contains 36 pages takes a close look at the most important questions and challenges that face…
April 8th, 2015
In October last year, Microsoft announced that support for Docker container virtualization in its next version of Windows Server through the Windows Server Containers technology. Today Microsoft announced several…
April 7th, 2015
Oracle last week announced the availability of a beta for version 5.0 of its type-2 virtualization platform VM Virtualbox. VM Virtualbox, which was originally developed by InnoTek became part of…